Saturday, June 23, 2007

Tidbit - 2 Hole Fish Ball

Tuesday was Dumpling Festival. As such, my family went back to my maternal grandmother’s house for a ‘reunion’ dinner. Almost everyone was there, from all my other 7 cousins to my aunties and uncles. The dishes were abounding – we had roast duck, chicken, fish and some vegetables. The soup was clear soup with some vege and some other things you always find in steamboats, like fish balls, and this other thing – a long-ish, fish ball like, but with a hole from one end to the other end, and always with a stripe of brown in the middle. I love this a lot. And I suppose everyone else at the table. Or at least, those my generation and younger. When the second round of soup came, Mum poured out two of those, and I quickly grabbed one. Grandma remarked, “This time don’t know why… can’t find it in the market, so only got 6 (paraphrased from Cantonese)” Following that, the other remaining ones were quickly gone from the soup too.


Later, after we all sat in the living room, full and satiated, some catching up and chatter began. My 2nd uncle (the father) asked my 3-year old cousin (the son), “
今天为什么那么多人?(Why were there so many people here today?)”

My 3-year cousin said, “因为全部人要吃那个两个洞的鱼圆! (Because everyone wants to eat the fish ball with 2 holes!)”


The 2-hole fish ball in question. I just found out that it's called "Chikuwa Fish Cake". Taken from glutton-island.blogspot.com

No comments: