Monday, June 18, 2007

Green Fest

I set my alarm for 5.45 a.m. Put my handphone on a stool near my bed. I woke up to my mum shaking me, and I looked at my handphone which said 7.00 a.m. Funny thing is, I don't remember how my handphone came to be beside on my pillow.

Haha... I'm being stupid and digressing. Main point - I was awake to go for the Green Fest Celebration organized by Malaysia's No. 1 English daily (this is written everywhere when you reach), The Star in FRIM, Kepong. We (mum, bro and sis) bundled into the car, spent some time getting lost in KL, and reached the place maybe... in an hour? Not too bad really. Considering we got lost and all.
Me at the banner. Looking dungu... but oh well. Not awake yet ma.

First interesting thing I saw... mobile toilets! Haha. I shall post the pictures here. Have fun imagining how to use it.


The flush is the blue foot pump on the floor. The water for the "basin" is another pump, cannot be seen here.

On the way searching for breakfast, spotted this little boy posing for his dad's camera at a big tree.


Forgive my shaky hands. Still not awake la maybe.

FRIM is really a very big replanted forest. It was a secondary forest, a degraded one. Then some people (I don't remember everything from the talk - still sleepy) had the foresight to 'green' the area, and started planting trees from 1920s, if i'm not mistaken. Thus the many trees continously planted all these years gave birth to the place we have today.


Field near the site of the activities


In FRIM itself got school some more. I kid you not. And seems like not only one.

The initial reason any of us even thought to go was that my mum had to send my brother, who was on duty for the event to Menara Star. So all of us thought we might as well just tag along and go straight to FRIM ourselves (hence the getting lost part). He is a BRAT (if you didn't get the 'on duty' part) and his assignment was to sell popcorn.


My BRAT brother smiling goofily without realising I was taking his picture.

Moving on to activities. We reached kinda late so registration for some events was already over. I was kinda disappointed that the 'Canopy Walk' event was already full. So my sister registered for 'Nature Hunter', an educational activity for school children. She came back, saying" Very sien la... Look at the trees, draw trees..."

Then we decided to go for a colouring session. Lots of other kids were already there, looking like those very pro in colouring contest, complete with their own portable table, crayons and newspapers (I know because I was one once =
P).


Mum with Sis colouring. Sis still has 'war paint' left from her 'Nature Hunter'.


So many families joining the 'Nature Treasure Hunt'. Have to have at least a father figure in each team. I don't even have a male, since my brother is a BRAT on duty.

There was a truck where all the entertainment was held, called the 'Gegar U' truck. I didn't manage to see much, 'cos I attended talks in the auditorium instead. My sis took these pictures.


School children as the brown things in a play.


Performance by the Orang Asli committee. The leader here translated their song title from a tongue twisting alien dialect to "Saudara saudari, datanglah ke sini".

The main reason I was attracted to go was because of certain exhibits and talks related to my field of study. I listened to a talk about the MBIPV system, more commonly know as the "Suria 1000" project. The speaker is the National Project Leader, albeit being so young (he says he's over 30 though, so he's "not so young"). And then there was a talk from Lucas Works, "Sustainable Energy House". They were presenting the Smart&Cool Homes, a sustainable building technology that offers cheaper and environment friendly materials (discarded car tyres), cheaper cost and energy efficiency. These pictures are from a model at their exhibtion booth:


You can see that the box raft foundation under the house is filled with tyres (up to 3-4 layers).


Here you can see that the tyres are used for the retaining wall as well. I think it's a nice aesthetic touch.

At the end of the day, I felt like doing what this little girl did.



After all, I wasn't very awake the whole day.


No comments: