Wednesday, July 04, 2007

I have P

Hahaha... my 100th post. After god knows how long I've been blogging. Such sad results indeed.

Yesterday was a day I felt way grown up. I was doing something you could only do after a certain age. And there were people younger than me there, no doubt, but many were much older too. What am I talking about? If you haven't guessed (or known), after 12 and a half hours of lessons, I went for the once-in-a-lifetime DRIVING TEST.

I hadn't had much sleep the previous night, thanks to a bunch of ever diligent mosquitoes at work in my room. While I sat there waiting for my turn, I had a case of lack-of-sleep headache. I got a number of "35 Kuning" (35 Yellow) and was scheduled to take the 'On the Road' test first. The first few rounds got me so kanchiong man... The testers were all wearing their police-like uniform some more. One tester called around 3-4 people to be tested in turn. Then, there was once when one of them called, "34 Kuning! 48 Kuning! 45 Kuning! 54 Kuning!" and the other tester called "36 Kuning! and so forth and so forth..." Adui.... they just had to call the two numbers flanking mine and further twist the bundle of nerves in me, is it?

When my turn came, I was the 1st one up with the tester. My group of 4 got a chubby but stern-looking man who wore sunnies (most of them did actually). The car I got into was a new one, with the meters all on the left side instead of straight in front like the older models, and the back seat was still wrapped in plastic too. First surprise came when the tester asked me to "masuk kereta, periksa semua" and proceeded to walk away, to the Gents, I presume. So I got in and did the prerequisite check. And then to my horror, I found that I didn't know how to operate the hand brake. The tester pushed it down for me (after he came back) and I didn't use the hand brake for the rest of the drive (which resulted in an 'X' in my evaluation form).

The 'on the road' test wasn't so smooth, especially when it came to junctions. I seemed to slow down at all the wrong time. Apart from getting scolded at 3 points, I seemed to have done well enough for him to give me a nod. So, I passed! And then I went on to wait for the slope, parking and 3-point turn test. I had felt so relieved that I'd passed the 'on the road' test though. My sifu had earlier said that it would be dangerous not to "bao" (which can be literally translated to something like 'insure') if I wanted to pass. But I managed. Kakakaka...

When I went on the slope test, I managed to nail it on the mark. Then another horror happened - when I wanted to go down, the car "mati api"! Adui... I never ever "mati api" on the slope before. I quickly braked and pulled up the hand brake again (this is another car ma) then looked at the tester in the pondok. He didn't look like I had failed yet, so I just went ahead and went down. Fuu... luckily I passed that too.

And then... when I reach the parking... I think this car is so horrible to me man. I "mati api" so many times... luckily it didn't matter in this part of the test. Managed to complete my test despite all that. Huge relief - I PASSED everything! And before lunch too. Hah!

So... I will have P this week! Yay!



No comments: