Thursday, September 11, 2008

The big US plan

Though I have always dreamed of studying overseas, I have never once thought of going to the United States. There isn't really a reason to it, it just... never happened. Perhaps it was due to the fact that as I was studying Architecture, the States wasn't as viable an option as UK or Australia because the US degree isn't recognized by the board of architects here, PAM (ironic though it may seem considering the quality of education in US). I don't quite understand why PAM doesn't accreditate the US degree, but the biggest difference is obviously the education system.

I digress. (this line seems to be abused by bloggers a lot XD)

So what triggered the big US plan? The story goes like this: My mum has a former lecturer from her teaching college, Ms. Y. Ms. Y has a niece staying in US. Said niece has a family there with two kids. Said niece and husband are both doctors. Thus, they require a babysitter for their children. Niece wants someone who would stay for a longer period of time compared to those they're currently hiring. Niece asks Ms. Y (her aunt) to look for a babysitter, maybe someone who's interested to study in US so that the person can go there with a student visa. This babysitter would of course, take care of her children. In return, this student a.k.a babysitter would be given room and board for the duration of stay in the US. Which means, student only needs to take care of tuition fees and have almost all living expenses taken care of. Student will also get allowance from babysitting.

Apparently my mum told Ms. Y about my predicament (the no-money-thus-not-being-to-go-overseas thing) so Ms. Y thought I might be interested. And I am kinda interested actually. To have almost all your living expenses taken care of (except transport) when studying overseas is actually saving on more than half of what you need to pay. Thus began my research on the universities and courses I could take. And I found this:

If I decide not to continue Architecture, my horizon is far, and big indeed.

No comments: