Saturday, November 13, 2004

Stress Relievers

Have you ever had a time when you felt you really can't continue with your work anymore, and you're simply too tired? Well, I always do. And here are some things which I do to take my mind off things:

- Filing
This is filing as in organizing all my loose papers properly into a file, with different topics and subjects nicely separated. I only do this once a term, at a time when I have the most documents. As a result, it always takes me about an hour to finish filing everything, from punching holes to sticking reinforcement rings to putting them into the file. Somehow after I finish, my life doesn’t seem like such a mess anymore.

- Read a book
This only happens if I do have a book at my disposal, which is rarely the case now in my room in PJ. Back home, I will browse through my shelves and pick one that appeals to me, no matter the times I have read it before. I am the kind who can read a book countless times and not get bored. When reading, you get sucked into another world and all your problems disappear. And usually after reading, I proceed to the following activity.

- Sleep
A comparatively easy thing to do, granted the rainy weather nowadays. Sleep has many, many benefits. First of all, you feel immediate relief once you lie on the bed. All the sitting around the whole day does make your muscles sore. And then, when I sleep, I always have dreams. Always. If I don't, that means I'm dead tired. My dreams bring me to impossible places and does fascinating things. Of course, when you wake up, you'll be frantic to think you actually slept and quickly resume your work.

- Surf the Net and find pictures of my favourite celebrity at the moment
This is one that I quite frequently do (hehe...). I don't know why, somehow looking at these pictures just takes my mind away.

- Clean my room
This will only happen once in a red moon, or when something inside me comes alive and says, "Clean your room!!" So, I will start keeping things, then getting them off the floor, before sleeping and mopping. I also wipe the dust off things. I usually clean my room when I'm about to leave it. That way it'll be clean and neat for a longer period.

- Do nothing
Doing nothing is not as easy as it sounds. It requires certain knowledge to know that at the moment, you're...not really doing anything. You merely sit there, gazing into space, with a really blank mind, thinking of nothing. I can last really long doing this activity. Of course, the end result is the same as sleeping.

I noticed that the above activities are pretty mundane and don't require much brain power. However, things do appear in a better perspective after doing them (at least for me).

*Note: Please do not attempt to do all these at once. You might get yourself admitted into the mental hospital instead.

No comments: