Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Portrait - Poster Colour 03

Teacher gave me another challenge - a Van Gogh self portrait. *Gulp!* Was not too bad. I'm quite satisfied with the results. And this portrait was so fun to do! Hehe... cos teacher wanted me to experiment with different textures and techniques, so every piece so far has been done in a different way. The previous one was supposed to be in the "impasto" technique (if I haven't lost my art techniques knowledge).

This one, she wanted to express the brush strokes - so she had me paint with PVA glue! Hahaha :D Very fun. And all the kids kept asking, "Why are you painting with glue??" I just smiled and had loads of fun... But the brush strokes thing didn't quite turn out right. The only thing the PVA glue did was make my painting shiny. So in the end, we put a layer of PVA on the whole painting, like varnish.

Van Gogh Self Portrait with Dark Felt Hat - reference

My portrait

Talking about brush strokes, I remember an art project my mum let us (me and bro) do last time when we were kids... She used to cook some starch in a bowl, and then let us mix the starch with the colours we wanted, and then paint with our fingers on a drawing paper. Way fun! I think I'll suggest using starch to teacher... the texture definitely stays :D

More art projects in 2 weeks... Hehe (if you haven't noticed, I've so far only managed to complete one portrait after 2 lessons).

No comments: