Sunday, May 03, 2009

John 3:16

Yesterday, I went to a memorial meeting of an elderly sister. As I listened to a message one of the brothers imparted, I was touched particularly by this Bible verse.

John 3:16 is a very popular Bible verse. Sometimes, it is so popular that even non-believers know what it says. And sometimes, we as Christians forget to touch the deep meaning of this verse just because we think we know it so well.

"For God so loved the world that He gave His only begotten Son, that every one who believes into Him would not perish, but would have eternal life."

約翰福音 3:16
"神愛世人,甚至將祂的獨生子賜給他們,叫一切信入祂的,不至滅亡,反得永遠的生命。"

The brother spoke in Mandarin (paraphrased):
“若朋友們看這經節,可以看見,並不是我們配得;乃是神那麽的愛我們,所以神將祂的獨生子賜給我們。我們能夠得救,並不是我們行了多少善事,我們多富有,我們多麽有成就。並不是我們配得,乃是神的憐憫和神的愛,使祂將祂的獨生子賜給我們,叫我們能得着永遠的生命。”

"If friends would look at this verse, you can see that it is not that we are worthy; but God so loved us that He gave us His only begotten Son. We can be saved, not because of how many good works we do, nor how wealthy we are, or even how accomplished. It is not that we are worthy, but it is the mercy and love of God, that He gave His only begotten Son to us, that we can receive eternal life."

I am reminded again how much God has had mercy on me, and how much He has loved me. What am I that He should thus love me, and predestinate me to receive Him as the eternal life? I am only a sinner, unworthy and unable to come to God. But by His grace and mercy, I have believed and received Him, and I now have the authority to be a child of God. Praise and thank the Lord!

3 comments:

Prissy said...

Amen sister!

John Carl Roldan said...

The problem is we know it, it's just that we tend to forget about it. The reason is because we don't put it into practice. That was a good one!!!

a branch in the vine said...

Yes, we often forget it. Which is why we always need reminders, from the various environments God gives us. Thank the Lord!

How did you chance on my blog?