Sunday, January 18, 2009

Pretty Book Covers

As you might have noticed, I like books. Quite a lot of them. If you haven't, take a look to your right.

I like books with pretty covers. It is a bad... what do you call it... preference? I have because, pretty books cost more money than not so pretty books. When this happens to books I really wanna read, I debate for a long time (imagine you can get Pride and Prejudice for below RM10 and then you can get it with a pretty cover for RM20-30+). And the pretty book cover versions always never have discounts, even when their brother or sister in the not so pretty book cover is on 20%. The content is the same, I argue, and yet I'm inevitably torn towards the pretty book cover (which is why all my Julia Quinn books are from Piatkus).

Sometimes I am tempted to read books just because of their covers. This is funny really, because we all know the old adage "Don't judge a book by its cover." Alas... I must belong to the category that marketing people love because I often am attracted to covers 1st.

Lately, I've been led to read Chinese medium books for the same reason. And it helps that they're rather light on the pocket too, when compared to their English counterpart.


Those at the back are by 蝴蝶/ Seba. I like the artistic graphics. Front pink one is by 橘子/ Orange. I love this kind of illustrations.



2 comments:

Unknown said...

Alas... I must belong to the category that marketing people love because I often am attracted to covers 1st.

thnks to us.. the economy will be saved?
lol.
i shall and will have to save myself 1st then..

a branch in the vine said...

Haha... the bookstore is a dangerous place to be. Especially at this time.

Because of the economy, MPH is having a Jimat campaign. So many books got 30% discount. Had to run and hide XD